Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

Artemus wrote:
Obviously I'm doing something wrong here as my joints are brittle
and don't hold worth squat. I ground the ends of the blade to about
45 degrees and cleaned the ends with sandpaper. I put on plenty
of flux and wedged a small piece of silver solder in the scarf joint.
Both ends are held in a jig so nothing moves during the soldering.
The saw blade is 3/16 wide and .025 thick. I'm using oatey 53013
silver solder. I'm using a propane torch w/ pencil tip burner.
I've tried heating just till the solder melts & flows, and hotter, up to
the blade turning a cherry red. Nothing worked.
So what am I doing wrong? technique? Wrong solder?
Art

Looks like I'll be using some of the advice on this thread in the near
future to repair a blade and shorten a new one. One blade broke today so
I went to put a brand new Lenox Diemaster 2 blade on the 4x6 and
tightened it up and the adjuster went solid, on checking the blade is
too long and the upper wheel hits the casting, bummer!. I've used dozens
of the Lenox blades and not had this problem before, no blade welder so
silver soldering will be the answer.