Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:

It appears that 2 inspections are required: a "Rough-In" and a "Final"
inspection.

That is the norm.

If I just install the subpanel, but don't power it, and run cables
from it, unattached, to all of the boxes,
including running board, staples, but not any outlets or circuit
breakers, will I be ready for the "Rough-In" inspection?

Install your subpanel complete with wiring to your main, just leave the
breaker turned off that feeds the subpanel. Then, as you indicate below,
run all of your branch circuits, with nothing attached to them. Call for
your rough-in. Once you get the sticker for the rough-in, you can complete
and cover the wiring (sheetrock or whatever you choose). Then you call for
your final. The inspector will look at connections within your boxes, GFIs,
etc. He'll give you a final sticker if he's satisfied.

Many of us will wire in the devices (outlets, switches, etc.) prior to the
rough-in inspection, just because, and inspectors usually do not object.
That way, you can energize circuits for temporary use prior to the
inspection. Best to check with your local electrical inspection firm though
to see what they want.

The application includes the following (and is the ONLY place where
the applicant describes the work to be done--of course, this is the
same permit one would use to build an entire garage):

10) Maps, Sketches, and Other Exhibits: Applicant must attach
appropriate sufficient maps, sketches, and
other exhibits, including a signed Homeowner’s Association and/or
Architectural Control Committee
Affirmation of Notification.

Most places do not require a description of wiring in a building permit
application. Again though - this stuff can vary widely from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction, so it's best to ask your code enforcement people what level of
detail they want for electrical. I'm guessing they don't really want any
level of detail in the application. Generally they defer to the electrical
inspector to assure electrical code compliance and only want to see his
stickers.

From what you said, in my application for a permit, I assume I might
write: "Install a subpanel adjacent to the existing main panel in
the garage, and wire additional power outlets and additional lighting
there,
making minor modifications as necessary, dependant on the existing
electrical configuration."

You may not even have to say that much. Generally local codes folks don't
care about things like subpanels - they just want to see your stickers.

I could add: "The subpanel would be powered from a circuilt breaker
(60 Amp) from the main panel having 200 Amp service".

Not if you don't need to.

Based upon your experience, do you expect that these statements may
suffice?

If you have to say anything about electrical, you may be able to get by with
the statement that all electrical work will be performed to NEC (or local
codes), and inspected by certified electrical inspectors.

--

-Mike-