Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Maybe I can describe my design in my application for a building
permit with just
enough generality to give me some flexibility.

You probably do not have to describe your design at all in your permit
application. Most building permits do not require any detailed electrical
design - just an inspection by an electrical inspector. Why bother
detailing more information than required?

It appears that 2 inspections are required: a "Rough-In" and a "Final"
inspection.
If I just install the subpanel, but don't power it, and run cables from it,
unattached, to all of the boxes,
including running board, staples, but not any outlets or circuit breakers,
will I be ready for the "Rough-In" inspection?

The application includes the following (and is the ONLY place where the
applicant describes the work to be done--of course, this is the same permit
one would use to build an entire garage):

10) Maps, Sketches, and Other Exhibits: Applicant must attach appropriate
sufficient maps, sketches, and
other exhibits, including a signed Homeowner’s Association and/or
Architectural Control Committee
Affirmation of Notification.

From what you said, in my application for a permit, I assume I might write:
"Install a subpanel adjacent to the existing main panel in the garage,
and wire additional power outlets and additional lighting there, making
minor modifications as necessary, dependant on the existing electrical
configuration."

I could add: "The subpanel would be powered from a circuilt breaker (60
Amp) from the main panel having 200 Amp service".

Based upon your experience, do you expect that these statements may suffice?

Bill