Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_5_] Josepi[_5_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Nahh! Attached ro unattached I wouldn't get a building permit, **HERE**.

Work inside a home can't be seen from the road and mostly not necessary and
not wanted from this end.

A deck somebody could fall off of, over a certain size, attached to the
building...every municipality has it's own requirements for when a permit is
needed.

Even then in the last house I built I put a deck on 8' in the ait about 16'
x 16' and the inspector stands on the finished deck, looks down the
neigbourhood back yards a says "There is a deck that wasn't inspected,
there's one.. and another and another."

I asked about hitting on them and he replies "We have no rights to enter
somebdy's property with a warrant". They basically had no rights to enforce
anything untill somebody gets hurt or a fire or other legal happening. OTOH:
A few 3000 ft^2 homes in a nearby city were bulldozed due to lack of
permits. Now that is hidden structural that cannot be inspected after the
fact and bigger politcis, at the time.

To make a long story short I am not sure why you would get the building
inspection people involved. Electrical? yes. (maybe they are one and the
same there) I assume you have made your "feeler" calls to the governing
bodies to see what the desired rules are.

"Bill" wrote in message
The folks who would pay a claim on a homeowner's insurance policy. I don't
wish
to provide them with an easy out--even if a fire might be caused by a
furnace,
hot water heater, or existing wiring. I've seen that they work pretty hard
to avoid
writing checks, and I'm not an attorney and I don't wish to have to hire
one.
In the absense of a building permit, I would leave myself vulnerable. Maybe
your
answer would have been different if I had disclosed that it was an attached
garage?

Bill