Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On Jun 12, 3:44*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:23:26 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7

wrote:

...And be sitting
down before you ask for the price of *any* Hardinge collet. :-)

While Ive seen some worn collets, they have been worn still within the
holding range. And Ive picked em up for less than $5 each, in most
cases...$10 for 5-10 of them.

Gunner, cheap...errrr *......Frugal ********

The only second-hand collet I bought that was significantly worn is a
1/2" Hardinge. I use it for hardware-store aluminum rod that's
oversized and heavily anodized, and to regrind end mills. Anodizing is
abrasive aluminum oxide.

The second-hand x/32 and x/64 collets were apparently never used.

jsw