Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_5_] Josepi[_5_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

You just need to follow the existing lumber in the attic and pin to the
sides of what's there so it can't be stepped on and damaged.

A running board can be used if the trusses run perpendicular to the
direction you want to travel.

In our code preactice, if you cannot walk over top of it you don't have to
worry about it being stepped on. IOW if the ceiling is too low you can't
walk there.

Do **NOT** drill through engineered trusses. If a building Inspector saw
this he may make you replace them.....big job!!!!

You mentioned "building permit". We would not be involved in a building
permit, but rather a wiring permit. Inside a garage, nobody is going to know
what you have done and if you are not modifying the structure, who cares?
YMMV on that one with area regs and community rules.

"Bill" wrote in message
Josephi,

The cable needs to go from the subpanel, straight up the inside of a wall to
the attic and from there go about 12-15 feet to the top of an adjacent wall
where it comes back down. The difficulty (for me) was how the cable should
go through the attic. This portion of the attic already has "flooring" and
I'd prefer not to mess with that. Mike suggested a "running board" which
would span the roof joists, I imagine it would be quite low. I "knew"
running cable from roof joist to roof joist (without a "running board") just
"had to be wrong" because of the proximity to possible moisture there. I
will do some homework on the "running board" concept and look for some
examples to see what I might be overlooking.

I told my wife I was planning to submit some SU pictures with my request for
a building permit and she thought I was trying to "show off"! This was
funny to me because the situation is actually quite the opposite, but after
considering it I hope the pictures will help make a good impression.

Bill