Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade - results

On 6/11/2010 6:45 PM, Artemus wrote:
As usual you guys are right on target. The miserable scarf joint
I had was the biggest problem. I hand ground a new one about
1/4"(a sloppy job) and (using the same Oatey solder) soldered up
a real blob, but it held. Next I built a jig to hold both ends at the
same time, and after fiddling with adjusting it, I got some real nice
matching 5/16" scarfs. Pounding the solder wire to a thin sheet,
careful application of the flux to just the scarf faces and the propane
torch got me a reasonably nice looking splice. It held my weight
without failing and bent at a 1/2" radius with no failure. The cross
section area of the blade is .025 x .125 and I weigh 180 lbs so I
calculate that's 57,600 PSI tension - well over the 15,000 PSI in
actual use.

The blade is too short to go back on the saw but it gives me plenty
of material to practice my technique on. They always seem break
at the factory weld so I don't think I need to worry about a tired blade
as someone pointed out. I'll keep the 50% Ag stuff in mind should I
have problems with the wider blades.
Thanks to all who responded.

Please keep us posted.

There is a lot of tribal knowledge advising against use of
'soft solder' for band saw blade welding. I am interested
to know your experiences with longevity of the joint.

Thanks!

--Winston