Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:

My point was that a regular extension cord was less likely to incur
an issue in the first place rather an multi-pound box containing 2
duplex outlets. It would be quite easy,
for instance, for someone to spill a liquid into or kick the latter
compared to
a regular extension cord or a wall outlet. My neighbor's dog might
even pee on it. ; )

Well - you have to go with what makes you comfortable in this matter. I
think you're looking for problems where they don't exist, but I'm not the
one who has to be comfortable in your garage. Just make sure the extension
cords you purchase are heavy enough for the tasks at hand...

As far as the details concerning the job, the main concern I have is
"how well" I need
to get the cable from one side of the attic to an adjacent corner.
Currently virtually all of
the cables of the house are lying unprotected in the attic. I would
like to do something in between
pulling up the attic floor boards and drilling holes in the joists,
and just laying 4 new cables
next to the ones already there. How about stapling the new cabkes to
the base of the ceiling
joists (using the appropriate staples)? Is that likely to pass an
inspection based on the situation
I've described? Obviously staping them to the floor boards is a
horrible concept, because, for instance,
I will need to get under those to install my lighting boxes.

The NEC addresses this. You can't just staple up romex to the underside of
joists. You can install running boards and then staple to those though.
The NEC is a tough read if you don't already know what you're looking for
and where it is addressed, however you can find adequate information in a
number of DIY wiring books available at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Would be worth the money for ya.

--

-Mike-