Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

fired this volley in
:

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here as my joints are brittle
and don't hold worth squat.

Winston! Winston... Winston...

50313 is a lead-free plumbing solder. It's NOT "silver solder" in the
sense of brazing alloys, even if it might contain some silver (which
Oatey does not state in the specs)

First of all, get some 'real' silver solder -- the stuff you buy in the
Forney section of an ACE hardware, or at a welding shop. Second, be
prepared to see the metal red before the solder will flow. The Oatey
53013 will flow at about 700F, which will barely make the blade smoke,
much less glow dull cherry red.

Heh! I asked Ernie about reassembling my 10" chef's knife with
*Real* silver solder. He advised the use of the *barely* silver
solder rather than the real stuff because of possible temper loss.

Ergo, I figured that my Oatey 5% lead-free, cadmium-free would be
plenty good for bandsaw blades.

Now I'm confused.

Relurking.

--Winston