Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

On 6/10/10 7:39 PM, Artemus wrote:
Obviously I'm doing something wrong here as my joints are brittle
and don't hold worth squat. I ground the ends of the blade to about
45 degrees and cleaned the ends with sandpaper. I put on plenty
of flux and wedged a small piece of silver solder in the scarf joint.
Both ends are held in a jig so nothing moves during the soldering.
The saw blade is 3/16 wide and .025 thick. I'm using oatey 53013
silver solder. I'm using a propane torch w/ pencil tip burner.
I've tried heating just till the solder melts& flows, and hotter, up to
the blade turning a cherry red. Nothing worked.
So what am I doing wrong? technique? Wrong solder?
Art

I'm pretty sure they needed to be welded.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--