Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Many years ago I bought an expensive "complete" set of W. Germany 5-C collets, graduated by 32 nds.
Soon, I was overtaken by the consuming desire to fluff out the set to 64ths. I agonized over the
decision to spend big money on the make-up collets for maybe 5 minutes and then ordered "made in
Taiwan" types from Enco. With the type of work I do, the difference in accuracy is indiscernible.
I suspect I get more taper from twist in the lathe's bed caused by foundation shifts than from
collets. In other words, "I don't worry about it".

I've taken a different tact. I bought a 1/8 - 1 set along with a 5/16" in lyndex since
they are good enough that I don't have to worry if they will be good enough. When I'm
making something that lends itself to a collet I do not have, I just order the one I need.
The collection is slowly growing with sizes I've actually used.

Btw, I'm now getting one day shipping from McMaster.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller