Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On Jun 9, 4:24*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:13:30 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7

wrote:
I entertained the idea of filling out the rest of my set of 5C collets
several years ago. Now I'm thinking about it again, but there is a
possible issue which I didn't really consider originally.

For those who have experience with the import(regular) collets can you
give me an idea of the kind of problems you've run into, if any, due
to collet inaccuracy? (Before I get the other 32 to complete my round
set).

And am I correct in assuming that even import(regular) collets
wouldn't be anywhere near 1/64th of an inch off of perfect?

Can I also assume that as long as the correct collet is used there
really shouldn't be any real wear?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Unfortunately...far far too many importe (Asian) collets are under or
over sized. A 5C collet has at most..a .015 grip range..and most of them
are .006. *Ive seen far too many of them that were in that 15 thou
range..but a .500 collet may open to .485, and close to .497....which
really doesnt help much when your stock is .502 +/- .004

Hardinge, Lyndex, Royal, etc etc and several other german or polish made
brands are Good stuff.

Another issue..is that not all collets have the holes drilled in the
middle G

When you have a spindle nose thats *dead nuts...000000+/-
and you put in a gauge pin..and the runout is .004....that means
something is not right. *If it were .0001..its still not right.

Some of the imports are pretty good. Some are pretty bad. The biggest
problem with a lot of the collet sets..is that you have a mix of good
and bad *ones. *And if you dont select the good one..when you turn
it..things dont come out the right size.

Ive got a decent assortment of used collets, mostly Hardinge, some
Southbends (decent), some Lyndex, some Royals..some much older brands
like Rivette. *But I dont have any chicom collets. Nor am I likely to.

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

Ok. So I should concentrate on getting common sizes from Hardinge,
Lyndex, and Royal. Do these manufacturers make collets for MT2, MT3,
and R8?

Also, I'm thinking that I probably should get new collect blocks also,
since the ones I have were picked up from the same seller I got the
import collets from.

BTW. How accurate can one expect to make collet blocks for other sizes
where they are not available?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.