Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:13:30 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

I entertained the idea of filling out the rest of my set of 5C collets
several years ago. Now I'm thinking about it again, but there is a
possible issue which I didn't really consider originally.

For those who have experience with the import(regular) collets can you
give me an idea of the kind of problems you've run into, if any, due
to collet inaccuracy? (Before I get the other 32 to complete my round
set).

And am I correct in assuming that even import(regular) collets
wouldn't be anywhere near 1/64th of an inch off of perfect?

Can I also assume that as long as the correct collet is used there
really shouldn't be any real wear?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I have a full set of Travers tool collets, bought new 20+ years ago,
plus a few other imported collets, I've been replacing them with brand
name collets mostly Lyndex. The problem I've found with the cheap
ones is they are all undersize, you have to force a 1/2" rod into a
1/2" collet. With the Lyndex brand it will just slip in and hold
nicely.

A real PITA when you have TGP stock and don't want it all scratched up
shoving it in and out of the collet.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.