Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article , "Bill" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
-- but why are you using 12-3 cable? (12-3 has *four* conductors:
black, red, white, and bare.)

For this particular wire run, I'm going to power 8 duplex outlets with one
hot and 4 more with the other hot.

Why not 6 and 6?

I'm also going to run wire to dedicated 240v outlets.

There's no need to run 12-3 or 10-3 for pure 240V outlets. A 240V circuit does
not use, and hence does not need, a neutral conductor, so 12-2 or 10-2 will
work just fine.

I'm also going to use
it for my lighting (different circuits
of course).

It makes more sense to use 14-2 for your lighting circuits. Why 12-3?

I have already used SU to estimate my wire requirements, and one 250' roll
of 12-3 will meet adequately meet ALL of my current (cough, cough) wiring
needs. Wiring to my outlets will range from 23'-44' and
I think this decision will make managing my wire inventory very simple, now
and with whatever is leftover.
I'm always willing to be corrected, but I thought this was a good decision
on my part.

I don't agree. I think it's a poor decision. Based on the plans you posted a
week or so back, you don't need 12-3 for *anything*. All of your 120V outlets
can be wired with 12-2, and the lighting with 14-2.

And you should be using 10-2, not 12-3, for the 240V circuits. The dust
collector can manage on 12-2, I'd imagine.

[...]
My next step is to remove all of the wallboard on two walls. Then I can
better-understand and
remove/modify the existing wiring before I put up the new. I have to admit
that I overlooked the
removal/modification step in my planning! And this does not include the
30Amp RV-outlet on the
outside of my shop that I am not using. I think I will dismantle it at the
panel for now. The NEC doesn't
preclude leaving it in this state/condition, does it?

It didn't used to, but the Code does now require that abandoned wire be
removed as much as practical. There was a discussion of that over at
alt.home.repair about 5-6 months ago, I think -- I'm pretty sure somebody
posted the exact requirements, and you should be able to find the thread with
a Google Groups search.

Bill