Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
-- but why are you using 12-3 cable? (12-3 has *four* conductors:
black, red, white, and bare.)

For this particular wire run, I'm going to power 8 duplex outlets with one
hot and 4 more with the other hot.
I'm also going to run wire to dedicated 240v outlets. I'm also going to use
it for my lighting (different circuits
of course).

I have already used SU to estimate my wire requirements, and one 250' roll
of 12-3 will meet adequately meet ALL of my current (cough, cough) wiring
needs. Wiring to my outlets will range from 23'-44' and
I think this decision will make managing my wire inventory very simple, now
and with whatever is leftover.
I'm always willing to be corrected, but I thought this was a good decision
on my part.

I was tempted to go with pigtailing 5 wires to connect to ground, but that
seems to slightly complicate
the future replacement of a duplex outlet (since to my understanding,
properly done, the end of the wires
should be recut). I think I'm on safer ground (cough), or at least more
confident, twisting/connecting 3 wires
rather than 5. I surely don't want one coming loose.

Thank you very much for your valuable assistance! And also to other folks
who have helped me
along my road to self-actualization.

My next step is to remove all of the wallboard on two walls. Then I can
better-understand and
remove/modify the existing wiring before I put up the new. I have to admit
that I overlooked the
removal/modification step in my planning! And this does not include the
30Amp RV-outlet on the
outside of my shop that I am not using. I think I will dismantle it at the
panel for now. The NEC doesn't
preclude leaving it in this state/condition, does it?

Bill