Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default uPVC Window fixings - large window - how many?

In ,
Tim wrote:
I have two rather wider than that - from Screwfix - and the original
fitting instructions only mentioned side fixings. And given I have
pre-stressed concrete lintels above I'm pleased about this.
The important thing is the window should sit on a good solid level base,
and any fixings not distort it. The foam used for gap filling will hold it
solidly.

Two fixings per side were as supplied.

I agree if the gap is fairly small (say an inch or so) - foam will
pack that and get a good grip - especially if you are fitting a window
with cill into an all brick opening. I was reusing the original tiled
cills and short of building them up (don't have any spare clay tiles)
there wasn't much I could do about the arrangement.

That2" gap under mind I felt, after fitting the sides, did demand a
little extra than foam alone. Window was actually supporting itself
fairly well on side fixings alone, but the middle was a bit wibbly. I
think bolting through 2 wooden blocks was a good idea - but it's not a
very typical opening that one.

I'd pack the window using temporary wedges so the gaps top and bottom are
reasonably equal and it's level, then pack mortar between it and the cill.

That wasn't possible: Have a look he

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b...33227.jpg.html

You see the internal cill behind - I needed the window frame to sit on
that. For some infathomable reason, some mushroom had made the external
cills much lower. If I'd had some clay tiles, I might have built that up
2 more courses.

Anyway, it worked out OK with those oak packers there. Now the foam
(built up in layers) has set, it is incredible firm and rainproof.

Let that go off, remove the bottom wedges and fill those gaps with mortar.

Fixings as required to the sides.

Fill all gaps with foam and let it go off. Cut it back about 3/4 in below
the brick and run a mortar fillet over it.

That is another option.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.