Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_37_] Bob[_37_] is offline

Default Retrofitting interior doors - pre-hung?

On 6/6/2010 11:00, Test group SBA wrote:
... I'm not crazy about replacing casings for 6 doors,
but I also think my chances of getting all 6 to fit and close properly
aren't good. (I'm a decent carpenter but not a professional.) What's
the collective wisdom on this?

With moderate carpentry skill I successfully replaced 8 interior doors
without replacing the casings. I did invest about $150 in a low end
router and hinge mortising jig. Using the old door as a template, I
mortised the hinges with no problem. The tough part was ripping the
doors to the right width -- each one required about 1/4 inch removed. I
used a circular saw and straightedge clamped to the door. After doing
the first door each subsequent one took about two hours.