Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Retrofitting interior doors - pre-hung?

On 6/6/2010 11:00, Test group SBA wrote:
... I'm not crazy about replacing casings for 6 doors,
but I also think my chances of getting all 6 to fit and close properly
aren't good. (I'm a decent carpenter but not a professional.) What's
the collective wisdom on this?

With moderate carpentry skill I successfully replaced 8 interior doors
without replacing the casings. I did invest about $150 in a low end
router and hinge mortising jig. Using the old door as a template, I
mortised the hinges with no problem. The tough part was ripping the
doors to the right width -- each one required about 1/4 inch removed. I
used a circular saw and straightedge clamped to the door. After doing
the first door each subsequent one took about two hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 5:01*pm, Bob wrote:

With moderate carpentry skill I successfully replaced 8 interior doors
without replacing the casings. *I did invest about $150 in a low end
router and hinge mortising jig. *Using the old door as a template, I
mortised the hinges with no problem. *The tough part was ripping the
doors to the right width -- each one required about 1/4 inch removed. *I
used a circular saw and straightedge clamped to the door. *After doing
the first door each subsequent one took about two hours.

I already have a router (a wireless Linksys) (yes that was a joke) and
I have an electric plane that I've used exactly once in 2 years - when
I installed the door my dog ate. (I'll put on a 5-degree bevel as was
suggested earlier.) So I think I'm good to go tool-wise. Anyway, I
don't buy tools so I can get projects done; I take on projects so I
can buy tools.