Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Unknown Turntable belt size - how to determine?

On Jun 3, 3:08*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
(GregS) wrote :

In article , "William R.
Walsh" m wrote:
Hello all...

I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd
like to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a
pretty nice stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to
have about a 40Wx2 output power rating (which seems reasonable, having
looked at the internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design
with the ability to skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable
itself is a linear tracking type.)

Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I
set the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn
that I read about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ,
but I could not find it just now. As best I remember, a string was
used and placed around all the components driven by the belt, after
which a measurement was taken.

A turntable belt has a lot of stretch to it.

You could do a Google search and find the belt like I
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/Pennys,_JC_(MCS).html

OK,then after that,WHERE do you buy a new belt?
the store where I used to buy them locally has gone away. :-(

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"O-rings" come in varied width and circ...that may work?