Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On 6/4/2010 11:04 PM, Bill wrote:
"Puckdropper"puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
(Robert Bonomi) wrote in
:

*snip*

Lastly, I'd put in GFI _outlets_, and use regular breakers, where I
could. _IF_ something trips, it will kill that outlet only, and -not-
take out 'something else' that might be running on the same circuit.

Robert,

That sounds (to me) inconsistent with the "you one need one GFI outlet at
the beginning of a (circuit) run for each hot" advise that I've heard.
What am I missing?

Nothing ... you should not have more than one GFCI protection device on
a branch circuit; either a GFCI c'bkr protecting the circuit at the
panel, or a "GFCI receptacle" as the first receptacle in the branch
circuit that protects the rest of the run.

He was merely saying that, in some instances, that first GFCI receptacle
is in the same room making it easy to see if it has tripped.

That is not always the case in a residence, however, where the GFCI
receptacle for the branch circuit may be in a different room, in a
closet, on the wall under a cabinet, on in some instances, outside ...
it's why I carry a GFCI circuit tester in my pocket, particularly when
accompanying an inspector on an electrical inspection of one of my
houses under construction, something which I _always_ do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010