Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi Robert Bonomi is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Prompted by suggestions that a shop needs convenient power, I created a
(pdf) SU view of my proposed outlet configuration (for one wall), and also a
corresponding wiring model:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Comments or suggestions welcome. In fact, all I seek is a simple nod.
Thank you again to those of you who helped me to reach this point (of
understanding)!

Bill

BTW, I think I will feel better if I use 120v duplex outlets that are **GFCI
protected** in addition to GFCI CB's.

+I+ would run _10_ ga. (minimum) to the 240 outlets. It's only trivially
more cost initially, and 'in the future' it makes it much easier to support
something that needs more power (just change the breaker and the plug).

One can never have enough 120v outlets. I'd put a quad box at each of the
three locations, with two circuits (one for each duplex outlet pair).

If it is a strictly ONE MAN shop, two circuits for all the 120V is likely
enough -- the 'one man' feature will limit how much gear is running at any
given moment.

IF NOT, I'd want a minimum of 3 circuits for the 120v, with 'staggered'
availability. i.e. circuit1/2 at the first box, circuit2/3 at the
second box, and circuit 3/1 at the third box..

Also, you'll find out _real_quick_ that you need more outlets by the work-
bench. recommend 3 quad boxes along -that- wall as well.

Lastly, I'd put in GFI _outlets_, and use regular breakers, where I could.
_IF_ something trips, it will kill that outlet only, and -not- take out
'something else' that might be running on the same circuit. More of a
consideration in a 'more than one person' shop, but it's along the same lines
as why you don't put _anything_ else on the 'lighting' circuit -- localize
the 'surprise factor' as much as possible.

Note: if you look for 'em, you can find _20_ Amp rated 120v GFI duplex
outlets. They're practically the same cost as the stock 15A ones, but the
attachment points are sized for the bigger wire gauge, and give the potential
for _safely_ supporting a higher-draw 120v device.