Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Use old breaker panel as junction box?

On Jun 3, 2:19*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 05:56:27 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:50*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 22:28:53 -0500, "

wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:04:24 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On May 31, 9:53*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 18:48:52 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

I'm going to upgrade my electrical service from 100A to 200A. New
meter, new panel and all that. What I want to know is wheter I can
leave the old breaker panel on the wall with the new one mounted next
to it, using the old one as a junction box so I don't have to move all
those wires (which will inevitably be too short) to the new box.

This way, I could put a couple of pieces of pipe between the two
panels and wire nut extensions to each wire in the old panel to bring
it over to the new,

Is this kosher? Would I also pull out all the bus bars from the old
box? Do I have to screw its cover closed?

There will be a licensed electrician and permits for this work, but
I'm looking to do a bunch of the grunt work myself to save a few bucks
and maybe learn something along the way,

You could leave the old box as a sub panel for the new. *At least some of the
circuits could be left in the old.

What is the point of doing that ?

No need to move every circuit. *No need to splice wires that are too short to
make it to the new box.

For a couple of spools of wire in various colors and wire gauge sizes,
the OP can have all of the circuits fed from the new panel...

I know you can't read, but he's trying to save the electrician's labor.