Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default But haven't we read here????

"terry" wrote in message
This is in reference to "Double tapped circuit breakers" in main panel
(North America).

In reference to more than a single wire on circuit breakers not
designed for that.

In House Home Repair. dot com one reads .................

"So what can you do? If you aren't having any problems with the
circuit being over-loaded the fix is really simple assuming the two
wires are the same gauge. Simply disconnect them from the breaker, add
a pig-tail of the same gauge wire, connect the three wires together
and secure the pig-tail to the breaker. A splice inside the box is
allowed and you now meet code and have satisfied the home inspector
for about a dollar.

But haven't we read here that pig tailing within the circuit breaker
panel is not to code? Or not to SOME codes?

We happen to have Square D breakers in three panels; main and two
pony. And, seemingly, for 40 years no problems at all! And with
occasional changes over the years and to re-balance loads between Leg
and leg B etc. I'm sure there is the odd pigtail or two!

Just curious?

Thank you for referencing my article:
http://househomerepair.com/64-Double...-Breakers.html

At the time that was done there were no restrictions on pigtails inside the
breaker box. I don't believe there are now in my area. Local codes always
prevail.

It should satisfy almost all home inspectors and if there have been no
problems over the years then that is the only thing you need be concerned
about. My current breaker box in my personal residence has breakers that
can be double tapped if needed but I am sure I would have to dance through
the same hoops if I had any and were selling. Some times you just need to
dance.

--
Colbyt