Posted to alt.home.repair

Default But haven't we read here????

This is in reference to "Double tapped circuit breakers" in main panel
(North America).

In reference to more than a single wire on circuit breakers not
designed for that.

In House Home Repair. dot com one reads .................

"So what can you do? If you aren't having any problems with the
circuit being over-loaded the fix is really simple assuming the two
wires are the same gauge. Simply disconnect them from the breaker, add
a pig-tail of the same gauge wire, connect the three wires together
and secure the pig-tail to the breaker. A splice inside the box is
allowed and you now meet code and have satisfied the home inspector
for about a dollar.

But haven't we read here that pig tailing within the circuit breaker
panel is not to code? Or not to SOME codes?

We happen to have Square D breakers in three panels; main and two
pony. And, seemingly, for 40 years no problems at all! And with
occasional changes over the years and to re-balance loads between Leg
and leg B etc. I'm sure there is the odd pigtail or two!

Just curious?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

terry wrote:
This is in reference to "Double tapped circuit breakers" in main panel
(North America).

But haven't we read here that pig tailing within the circuit breaker
panel is not to code? Or not to SOME codes?

Unless it's been changed in late versions afaik NEC doesn't prohibit it
(assuming all the caveats of proper minimum wire size(s), not excessive
total loads, etc., etc., etc., ...).

Of course, localities can have any additional restrictions they wish
above NEC so I'll certainly not say you won't find someplace that
doesn't allow same.

And, of course, there's nothing to say that any given inspector isn't
fully capable of rejecting any even somewhat unusual finding simply
because it isn't as expected as opposed to being an actual violation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

and come home sale time a home inspector will be looking with glee,
not only does finding this verify to the buyer he was money well
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for referencing my article:
http://househomerepair.com/64-Double...-Breakers.html

At the time that was done there were no restrictions on pigtails inside the
breaker box. I don't believe there are now in my area. Local codes always
prevail.

It should satisfy almost all home inspectors and if there have been no
problems over the years then that is the only thing you need be concerned
about. My current breaker box in my personal residence has breakers that
can be double tapped if needed but I am sure I would have to dance through
the same hoops if I had any and were selling. Some times you just need to
dance.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 10:09�am, bud-- wrote:
terry wrote:
This is in reference to "Double tapped circuit breakers" in main panel
(North America).

In reference to more than a single wire on circuit breakers not
designed for that.

In House Home Repair. dot com �one reads .................

"So what can you do? If you aren't having any problems with the
circuit being over-loaded the fix is really simple assuming the two
wires are the same gauge. Simply disconnect them from the breaker, add
a pig-tail of the same gauge wire, connect the three wires together
and secure the pig-tail to the breaker. A splice inside the box is
allowed and you now meet code and have satisfied the home inspector
for about a dollar.

But haven't we read here that pig tailing within the circuit breaker
panel is not to code? Or not to SOME codes?

We have read here that pig tailing in a circuit breaker (or fuse) panel
is explicitly allowed by the NEC (312.8). So is running wires through
the panel that do not terminate there (could run through to an added
subpanel for instance). There is a limit to how crowded the wiring
spaces can be.

We happen to have Square D breakers in three panels; main and two
pony. And, seemingly, for 40 years no problems at all! And with
occasional changes over the years and to re-balance loads between Leg
and leg B etc. I'm sure there is the odd pigtail or two!

As the article (linked by Colbyt) says, many SquareD breakers are UL
listed to have 2 wire connections - generally up to #10 wire. That, of
course, does not mean a �home inspector won't call it as a violation.

Is hallerb a home inspector?

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

No just have hassles with them.

Moostly I think they are honestly trying to do a good job.

but hey their job is to find problems.

and while a problem reported may be nothing it can make the buyer
nervous.....

and cost you a sale

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:24:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

but hey their job is to find problems.

But, their job is not to make up stuff that isn't; too bad you don't
follow the same credo...

It may have been a tax appraiser (I forget). He measured the side
walls of the house. Instead of corner-to-corner, he walked down the
slop and took his reading at a diagonal.

Me: How did my house get so big?

OT - A Must Read Arthur 51[_3_] UK diy 1 February 10th 10 11:44 PM
please read n1kk1 Home Repair 0 December 27th 09 03:14 AM
New ISP to read RCM? Jim Wilkins Metalworking 26 December 11th 07 01:39 AM
Did you read about that? happy Woodworking 0 May 6th 07 02:35 AM
must read !! [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 17th 07 10:55 PM