Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Arc Fault protection how does it work?????

Dan Lanciani wrote:
In article , (bud--) writes:

| "Combination" type AFCIs are required since Jan 1, 2008. The 2008 NEC
| also greatly expanded where the AFCI protection is required. In general
| for a residence they are required where a GFCI is not required.

Does this mean you can still use GFCI breakers for bathrooms, outdoor
outlets, basements, etc? I ask because I really prefer GFCI breakers
to outlets, especially with old small boxes. Or will there maybe be a
flavor of AFCI with 5mA GFCI protection?

"210.12-B Dwelling units.
All 120 volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying
outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms. living
rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sun rooms, recreation rooms,
closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a
listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type, installed to
provide protection of the branch circuit."

(There are a couple very limited exceptions.)
(A note references another standard - I believe all line-powered smoke
alarms (stand alone or tied together) that are installed on AFCI
circuits are required to have battery backup. One of the exceptions
covers alarm panels.)

AFCIs aren't generally required where GFCI protection is required, in
particular bathrooms, outdoor, unfinished basements. And NEC
requirements are for new wiring.

I don't know of combined AFCIs with GFCIs, but they are probably coming.
They probably need 2 test buttons.

If you actually needed both, you can put GFCI receptacles on AFCI
circuits, and could put a GFCI outlet at the panel feeding the
downstream circuit. Similarly you could put an AFCI outlet on a GFCI
circuit with the AFCI outlet feeding the downstream circuit. I don't
know if AFCI outlets actually exist, and the exception for using them is
very strict.

In looking at AFCI availability for a common panel (Cutler-Hammer BR
series) it appears that combination AFCIs come only in 15A and 20A
single-pole versions. Does this mean that multi-wire branch circuits
(Edison circuits)--in particular ones where a duplex outlet is split
and fed from both legs--are no longer an option?

I think some 2 pole AFCIs are available - don't know about CH. Two pole
are probably much higher cost. I expect multiwire branch circuits are
not generally practical anymore.

Another change in 2008 that probably doomed multiwires is the
requirement for a common disconnect for all wires of a multiwire circuit
- a multipole circuit breaker or hand tie for the breakers (210.4-B). I
don't think, fofr example, many commercial buildings with 3 phase want
to take out 3 circuits to work on one of them.

The arc detection of an AFCI probably doesn't care if there is a common
neutral, but the ground fault detection does.

What about other types of 220V circuits and circuits 20A?

Not required.

--
bud--