Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Shop Layout Feedback

On Jun 4, 12:37*pm, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:

I would use 6" PVC (drainage stuff is far cheaper) but the fittings
are confusing. *How does one get from 6" PVC to 4" & 2.5" DC ports?
It seems everything has a different "standard", including DC ports
themselves.

There are reducers and various fittings for the purpose...all the usual
mail order places are the likely culprits...

Oh, and generally if one has 6" collector, one will run one a main trunk
and drop off for individual machines w/ reducing 'y' to 4" or whatever...

Yeah, I got that part (mine does have a 2x4"-to-6" 'Y' on its input),
but my point is that 4" DC parts aren't the same size as 4" PVC (and I
don't think drainage PVC is the same as waste PVC pipe) and indeed not
all 4" DC ports are exactly the same size (my saw and planer don't
take the same fittings). Flex hose makes up for a lot of sins but
it's also a lousy duct. To get things to fit I end up with 4x as many
parts as I need, just to get something that sorta works. Or not.