Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Unknown Turntable belt size - how to determine?

On 6/3/2010 11:42 AM William R. Walsh spake thus:

Hello all...

I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd like
to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a pretty nice
stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to have about a 40Wx2
output power rating (which seems reasonable, having looked at the
internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design with the ability to
skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable itself is a linear tracking
type.)

Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I set
the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn that I read
about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ, but I could not find
it just now. As best I remember, a string was used and placed around all the
components driven by the belt, after which a measurement was taken.

Instead of string, which does stretch, you might try a strip of paper.

Which reminds me of an old turntable I used to have. As a kid in Tucson,
not quite 20, I found a used turntable in a junk shop there. Cheap,
because it had no belt. Took it home, and being the resourceful lad I
was, I made a belt out of paper, the ends glued together with white
glue. Worked great! No problems with wow & flutter or rumble. The paper
belts lasted maybe a month or so before breaking. The bulb-shaped motor
pulley kept the belt tracking true.

Can't remember the brand, but it was an interesting turntable. Very
simple: just a deck, a motor, a spindle with inner and outer platters,
and an arm mounted on some kind of isolator. The arm had a single pivot.
Worked really well. (My poor man's AR.)