Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 3:07 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I did the following to mine:

(1) Double the number of 120 outlets
(2) use quad outlet boxes at 120 locations (dahikt)
(3) Put ALL electrical in conduit on outside of walls.

The reason for the external wiring is that every shop
tends to get moved around from time to time and you
can move stuff MUCH easier with it in conduit.

Bill wrote:
Prompted by suggestions that a shop needs convenient power, I created a
(pdf) SU view of my proposed outlet configuration (for one wall), and
also a
corresponding wiring model:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/- Hide quoted text -

"use quad outlet boxes at 120 locations"

480 outlets? Yeah, that oughta be enough for most shops. ;-)

Thank you Pat Barber who first mentioned this in this thread and DerbyDad03
who brought it up again.
For some reason the idea of having pairs of duplex outlets didn't take until
I considered it while standing
in the shop area. It sounds like a good idea! You never know where things
will end up, battery rechargers and such.
I even ended up with a small "shop refrigerator" already (and I never was
serious about having one..).

A little more action on the project: today I took down and demolished about
6 1970's vintage kitchen
cabinets which are in the way. I referred to them earlier as "hideous" and
I won't be missing them.
I confess that the act of smashing them up with a big crowbar was almost
more fun than it should have been. : )

Bill