Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:33:59 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote the following:

On 6/03/10 3:18 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On 6/3/2010 1:50 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 6/03/10 1:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/3/10 12:24 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Although there are pretty good reasons why one should not place a
breaker
panel (or fuse box) in a closet. I've seen many houses from the 50's
and
60's with breaker panels in closets; but the code changed because of
the obvious fire hazard.

scott

Ok, I'm an idiot. It's so obvious, I'm oblivious. :-)

What's make a closet more of a fire hazard for a breaker box?

Probably not so much for a properly functioning, properly installed box.

Nothing but possible air circulation to the panel for cooling.

However, older boxes, too many handymen doing what they shouldn't etc.,
then I can start to see potential issues.

Imagine clothes draped over a fuse box where a fuse has been screwed in
on top of a penny, with the overload that kept blowing the fuse
uncorrected.

Isn't that covered by handymen doing what they shouldn't?

Real handymen don't pull that kind of stunt. It's the homeowners who
think they're handy who do, and they give us a bad name.

I can't see a problem with a properly operated code compliant panel, not
that I would store clothes, chemicals etc, near my panel anyway.

That's right. I hang a rake handle over my breaker box.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor
the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.