Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Import BXA toolpost experience

On 2010-06-03, Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:33 pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

BTW Do you *really* have a vernier? (One with two scales, one
the full length and one shorter which is used to interpolate
between the markings on the full-length scale), or a dial
caliper, or perhaps a digital one? Vernier properly applies
only to the first type -- but some mis-use the old term for
all calipers of the same basic shape.

*** A dial caliper is on my shopping list, but I have to find my
vernier. It's been a while and I can't remember details in regard to
the scales.

O.K. I find myself remembering that there are very cheap
vernier calipers (made by General, IIRC) which only measure to 1/128"
(fractional size instead of decimal) even with the vernier. The proper
ones are graduated in 0.025" steps, and have 26 lines on the vernier.
These were made of stamped metal, bent to form the carriage, and with
the numbers and lines stamped in them, while a proper machinist's
vernier caliper is machined from flat stock with the lines and numbers
engraved in them, and the carriage machined from thicker metal. Also,
the surface is typically a ground finish.

But you might want to consider getting a digital instead of a
dial. I've gotten a nice enough one at a hamfest for $18.00, with
resolution to 0.0005" (half a thousandth). There are quite a few
benefits to a digital caliper over a dial one, and only one benefit to
the dial -- the dial does not have to worry about the batteries dying. :-)

harbor freight has emininently acceptable digital calipers for around $16, I
think they are on sale now. you can't trust them to half a thousandth, but
to .001 they are fine. ENCO also has them at about the same price and you
can get free shipping