Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Unknown Turntable belt size - how to determine?

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:42:48 -0500, William R. Walsh ǝʇoɹʍ:

Hello all...

I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd
like to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a
pretty nice stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to have
about a 40Wx2 output power rating (which seems reasonable, having looked
at the internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design with the
ability to skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable itself is a
linear tracking type.)

Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I
set the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn that
I read about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ, but I
could not find it just now. As best I remember, a string was used and
placed around all the components driven by the belt, after which a
measurement was taken.

William

String. I've used it on many turntables where the belt turned to mush.
Technics tt et al were one of my responsibilities at the warranty repair
center before the CD made them obsolete as far as new home audio system
sales were concerned. One other thing is the width of the belt is crucial
in many cases. That determines how the belt sometimes rides the motor
pulley and can cause problems including dismounting of the belt and speed
inconsistencies.