Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Layout Feedback

LdB wrote in
m:

On 6/3/2010 8:18 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I have a approximately 20x30 space for my shop. I've been working on
designing where all the tools will go, and would like some feedback
on the design.

A couple notes:
- The grinder, sander, and drill press will be separated and placed
along the back wall. I just didn't bother adding stands.
- I plan on building a bench in the upper left hand corner (next to
the ladder), but haven't gotten around to modeling it yet.
- The "plywood storage" is a large assembly table with storage
underneath.

http://puckdroppersplace.us/other/garage.jpg

Puckdropper

Pretty pictures are for the women and their kitchens. This is a
workshop man. You don't design a workshop unless you plan on
installing drapes in the thing. Puckdropper???? You must play in a
girls league.

It's not my fault the picture looks nice. :-p It is a diagram, using the
computer to check for clearances and such. You're right about the
plywood storage, but I think there's access to pull a full sheet out from
there...

Tools have to be arranged for practical reasons not to look good on a
drawing. Put all the large tools on casters so that you can rearrange
things as required, if required.

How do you put dust collection drops on casters?

Once you've made a few yards of sawdust with each of those machines
you'll know where they belong. As it sits now your probably going to
have to move something to cut up a sheet of plywood. That will be
after you have had to move the storage table so that you could get the
plywood out in the first place. Remember that a sheet of plywood is 4
x 8 but you still need a few extra feet of space to fit your ass in.
Where's the barrel for all the scrap pieces that are too good to throw
away?

LdB

The TS has a 6' "working clearance" front and back, with the space to
adjust either end to 8'. Since it's on casters that's an easy thing to
do.

I haven't quite figured out where the tall scrap bin is going to go. The
shorter pieces can be stored under the CMS, but the taller ones need more
height. It's penciled in for the corner by the bench, but I think it'll
be too far away to be useful.

Puckdropper