Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Layout Feedback

"dadiOH" wrote in
news:GJPNn.29943$J52.29712@hurricane:

Puckdropper wrote:
I have a approximately 20x30 space for my shop. I've been working on
designing where all the tools will go, and would like some feedback
on the design.

A couple notes:
- The grinder, sander, and drill press will be separated and placed
along the back wall. I just didn't bother adding stands.
- I plan on building a bench in the upper left hand corner (next to
the ladder), but haven't gotten around to modeling it yet.
- The "plywood storage" is a large assembly table with storage
underneath.

We all need to arrange things to suit what we do and how we do it.
For me, I would NOT want the "large assembly table with storage
underneath". Here's why...

1. It is best to store sheet goods flat. Doing so virtually
guarantees that the sheet you want will be on the bottom. I built one
similar to this...

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2...age/20000901_G
arage_Storage_page008img001_size2.jpg

a couple of years ago. Mine doesn't have the small vertical spaces,
just two 12" wide full length ones. I keep full sheets on one side
and (mostly) cut pieces on the other. It has worked out well.

That looks like a better option, thanks. I've needed to work something
out for plywood cut offs, and it looks like that'll take care of those
needs.

2. For the stuff I make (cabinets, tables, desks, etc.), a table that
size for assembly would be too big to be convenient, lots of extra
walking, maybe hard to clamp stuff down where you want to clamp. My
solution was a pair of tables, each 36" high, 48" long, 12" wide, on
casters, tray in the bottom. I can use them together for either a wide
surface or a long narrow one. They are also useful to hold a pile of
stuff I am sawing or otherwise machining.
______________

I'm also a little worried about the horizontal surface curse. The mobile
stands could also be used as infeed/outfeed support for sawing
operations.

Good idea, thanks!

You need to plan a spot for lumber storage. A rack on the bottom wall
would work, looks like you could put both it and plywood there. FWIW,
here is a link to a zip of pix and instructions for mine.
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/pix/lumber_rack.zip

I was looking at something similar in the Woodcraft catalog yesterday.
I'm debating whether or not there'd be room for narrow board storage
behind the door (with the door open at 90-100 deg).

Not shown is a small bin under the SCMS for "stick storage."

Puckdropper