Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Bill"
wrote:

Doug,

This is the statement I was able to find:

Where?

"The main service equipment panel shall be mounted either outside or
inside
the dwelling at the point of entrance of the service conductors to the
building. All service equipment and electrical panels shall have a clear
area 30" wide and 36" deep in front. This clear area must extend from
floor
to ceiling with no intrusions from other equipment, cabinets, counters,
appliances, pipes, etc. Panels are NOT allowed in clothes closets or
bathrooms."

Right. The purpose of this language is to ensure that there is adequate
space
in front of the panel for an electrician to stand while servicing the
equipment. Basically, it means that you can't park crap on the floor in
front
of your electrical panel.

Does this prevent me from installing my subpanel right next to the main
panel (in between the adjacent pair of studs)?

No.

So the operative words here are "in front". As I understand you, the
statement doesn't refer to what's inside the wall at all, huh? Thank you
very much!

Bill