Posted to alt.home.repair
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Use old breaker panel as junction box?

On May 31, 9:48*pm, rangerssuck wrote:
I'm going to upgrade my electrical service from 100A to 200A. New
meter, new panel and all that. What I want to know is wheter I can
leave the old breaker panel on the wall with the new one mounted next
to it, using the old one as a junction box so I don't have to move all
those wires (which will inevitably be too short) to the new box.

This way, I could put a couple of pieces of pipe between the two
panels and wire nut extensions to each wire in the old panel to bring
it over to the new,

Is this kosher? Would I also pull out all the bus bars from the old
box? Do I have to screw its cover closed?

There will be a licensed electrician and permits for this work, but
I'm looking to do a bunch of the grunt work myself to save a few bucks
and maybe learn something along the way,

OK. I spoke with the local electrical inspector and he said that even
though it's not his favorite way to do this, when he was a contractor
he did it all the time. Just make sure you screw the door closed. The
fact is that if I don't use the big box as a junction box, I'd have to
mount a bunch of other boxes anyway since most of the wires are way
too short to make it to the new panel.

The bottom line is, it's OK with him, and it will save a bunch of time
& money.