Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Arc Fault protection how does it work?????

In article , (bud--) writes:

| "Combination" type AFCIs are required since Jan 1, 2008. The 2008 NEC
| also greatly expanded where the AFCI protection is required. In general
| for a residence they are required where a GFCI is not required.

Does this mean you can still use GFCI breakers for bathrooms, outdoor
outlets, basements, etc? I ask because I really prefer GFCI breakers
to outlets, especially with old small boxes. Or will there maybe be a
flavor of AFCI with 5mA GFCI protection?

In looking at AFCI availability for a common panel (Cutler-Hammer BR
series) it appears that combination AFCIs come only in 15A and 20A
single-pole versions. Does this mean that multi-wire branch circuits
(Edison circuits)--in particular ones where a duplex outlet is split
and fed from both legs--are no longer an option?

What about other types of 220V circuits and circuits 20A?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com