Posted to alt.home.repair
woger151 woger151 is offline

Default Long bolt: make my own?

On Jun 2, 2:31*am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"woger151" wrote in message

I need to attach some wood to a post at the top of my stairs to be
able to mount a baby gate. *I was just going to bolt the wood to the
post.

Problem is that the bolts have to be pretty long. *I bought some hex
bolts that are barely long enough (8"). *I can't find longer bolts
online unless I get a much fatter bolt, which I don't want to do.

I could use the 8" ones, but I was wondering if I could "make my
own." *I bought the hex bolts at HD, but also got 3 feet of "threaded
rod." *I figured I could just put some nuts on the rod and cut it with
a hacksaw. *I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough.

Only complication is that this is for kids (toddlers), and they love
to eat everything. *So I don't want them unscrewing the nut sticking
out of the wood I attach. *Is there an easy way to fix the nut,
essentially making my own bolt? *I was thinking of putting super glue
on the threads and then quickly screwing the nut over that. *(I'm not
so worried about the nut on the other end, which would be free just
like a regular bolt---that end won't be as easily available to them.)

TIA,

Several points here.

You are attaching a baby gate, not putting up a barier to protect an ingress
from mongol hordes.

Through bolts are not only over kill, but they make the job way more
difficult than it has to be.

A few well placed wood screws will secure the gate and after the kid is old
enough to not fall down the stairs, they can be removed and the repair is
going to be much easier.

I might not have described the situation completely.

The post that's there isn't directly across from the attachment point
on the opposite wall. Because of the location of the handrail, I
can't use one of those "angle gates". So I have to "extend" the post
to get a good attachment point.

I don't actually have to do it the way I'm doing it; my original idea
was to use some plywood on both sides of the old post. That way I
could avoid drilling the old post. But this way is easier: The post
is a little smaller than a 4x4. On the end of that I'm mounting a
thin board, then a 4x4. (Need the board because the post has a wooden
"cap" that prevents the 4x4 from being flush. Need the 4x4 to be
taller than the cap to mount the gate hardware.)

Didn't know about the difficulty of drilling 8" straight, but
fortunately won't have to deal with it. I can drill the board, the
4x4, and the post one at a time.

Cheers

Another problem you are going to have is drilling straight holes, *Have you
ever tried to drill a hole 8 inches deep and predict where it will come out?
This is no easy task.

As far as a toddler unscrewing a nut, If a not is tightened with a wrench
*you* will not be able to unscrew it by hand so a little kid would have no
chance.

Another option if you really want to use nuts is to get studs. *These are
headless boltsthat have wood screw threads on one end and machine threads on
the other. *Two nuts are theaded on to the machine threads and tightened
against each other locking them together. *Now you drill a pilot hole and
thread the stud into the wood. *When the desired depth is attained, you use
two wrenches and unthread the nuts.

What you end up with is a threaded shaft sticking out from the wood that can
be used as an attachment point.

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent..- Hide quoted text -