Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Long bolt: make my own?

I need to attach some wood to a post at the top of my stairs to be
able to mount a baby gate. I was just going to bolt the wood to the
post.

Problem is that the bolts have to be pretty long. I bought some hex
bolts that are barely long enough (8"). I can't find longer bolts
online unless I get a much fatter bolt, which I don't want to do.

I could use the 8" ones, but I was wondering if I could "make my
own." I bought the hex bolts at HD, but also got 3 feet of "threaded
rod." I figured I could just put some nuts on the rod and cut it with
a hacksaw. I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough.

Only complication is that this is for kids (toddlers), and they love
to eat everything. So I don't want them unscrewing the nut sticking
out of the wood I attach. Is there an easy way to fix the nut,
essentially making my own bolt? I was thinking of putting super glue
on the threads and then quickly screwing the nut over that. (I'm not
so worried about the nut on the other end, which would be free just
like a regular bolt---that end won't be as easily available to them.)

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT), woger151
wrote:

[...]

I have had good luck finding long bolts at http://www.boltdepot.com/.
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for posting that link. I occasionally need a long, fully-
threaded bolt but the local hardware, Home Depot, etc., generally only
have partly threaded bolts in the longer sizes.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:46*am, woger151 wrote:
[...]

How friggin' strong are these toddlers?

A couple of options:

Epoxy the threads before screwing the nut onto the threaded rod. Use
epoxy, like 5-Minute epoxy or JB Weld, not super glue.

Since you're drilling into the post anyway, why not counter sink the
head (or nut) of the 8" bolt? If you recess the head (or nut) the
super human toddlers won't have anything to gnaw on.

By the way, if you cut the threaded rod with a hacksaw, screw a nut on
first so you can "fix" the cut threads after cutting by unscrewing the
nut. You may need a wrench, but it'll straighten out the threads as
you back the nut off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 10:46*am, woger151 wrote:
[...]

Weld the nut to the rod. If you dont have a welder take it to your
local muffler shop chances re they'll do it for you for 5 bucks.

Or just tell the kids hands off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:
[...]

If you glue the nut on, use red or green "Loc·tite" instead of super
glue. (Blue and purple are removable, red and green are permanent;
green is hard to find.)

You might have better luck finding an extra-long carriage bolt instead
of a hex bolt, and the round head will give a more finished look.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Instead of 'super glue', try epoxy. You can get it inside the threads
under the nut AND get a big enough glob on the end that you could smooth it
out and even paint it to match the woodwork.

After hacksawing your threaded rod, look carefully at the thread where you
cut. You may need to file it slightly to present an 'entry' for the nut.

Other option: you could embed the threaded rod inside the wooden post, if
you envision this more or less as permanent. Drill a couple inches deep
and epoxy it there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
woger151 wrote:

[...]

If you use a newsreader to get to usenet instead of google or some other
lame-ass web-based portal, your post will be seen by more people. It'll
also be easier for you to find your way back here and actually see the

Loctite makes many formulations of threadlocking compound, some of which
are "permanent." It's more appropriate than superglue or epoxy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 4:46�pm, woger151 wrote:
[...]

Buy yourself some threaded rod, nuts and washers. You can make your
own bolts to whatever length you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

Use flat washers along with a lock washers..

Or 2 nuts on each end of the rod. On one end of the rod twist on both
nuts so that the outer nut is flush with the end of the rod. Then
using 2 wrenches tighten the outer nut while "loosening" the inner
nut.

Do the same thing to the other end once you have slide it through the
hole. Cut off extra rod with hacksaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are very welcome, Paul.
I just retrieved a package of 8" SS carriage bolts that I ordered last week for
re-bracing under my deck. I could have gotten them from McFeely's, but they
would have cost me $4.00 more...each.
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
[...]

Why not do it the easy way. Attach the board with lag screws? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 1, 12:34*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*woger151 wrote:
[...]

Just because you have problems "finding your way" using GG doesn't
mean that everyone else does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:46*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 1, 12:31*pm, wrote:

Instead of 'super glue', try epoxy. * You can get it inside the threads
under the nut AND get a big enough glob on the end that you could smooth it
out and even paint it to match the woodwork.

After hacksawing your threaded rod, look carefully at the thread where you
cut. *You may need to file it slightly to present an 'entry' for the nut.

Other option: *you could embed the threaded rod inside the wooden post, if
you envision this more or less as permanent. *Drill *a couple inches deep
and epoxy it there.

"After hacksawing your threaded rod, look carefully at the thread
where you cut. *You may need to file it slightly to present an 'entry'
for the nut. "

or, as I mentioned earlier, put a nut on the rod *before* cutting and
use the nut to smooth out the threads by unscrewing it over the
damaged threads.

Of course, in this case, you might as well leave the end damaged to
make it even harder to get the nut off.

Put the nut on, cut the rod, smear your epoxy on the cut-end threads
and unscrew the nut until jams on the damaged threads.

I always to several nuts on then cut the rod, it usually takes more
than one nut to re-set the thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 8:46*am, woger151 wrote:
[...]

Use a wood boring bit to "counter sink" the ends of the bolt (or the
one you cut from the threaded rod), so little fingers can't get at
them. It won't do much to impact the strength of the wood itself.

I used this approach for all the bolts on my deck structure so that
bolt ends would not be visible. Works fine and takes only a few
seconds to drill in far enough to hide the bolt ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
[...]

Several points here.

You are attaching a baby gate, not putting up a barier to protect an ingress
from mongol hordes.

Through bolts are not only over kill, but they make the job way more
difficult than it has to be.

A few well placed wood screws will secure the gate and after the kid is old
enough to not fall down the stairs, they can be removed and the repair is
going to be much easier.

Another problem you are going to have is drilling straight holes, Have you
ever tried to drill a hole 8 inches deep and predict where it will come out?
This is no easy task.

As far as a toddler unscrewing a nut, If a not is tightened with a wrench
*you* will not be able to unscrew it by hand so a little kid would have no
chance.

Another option if you really want to use nuts is to get studs. These are
headless boltsthat have wood screw threads on one end and machine threads on
the other. Two nuts are theaded on to the machine threads and tightened
against each other locking them together. Now you drill a pilot hole and
thread the stud into the wood. When the desired depth is attained, you use
two wrenches and unthread the nuts.

What you end up with is a threaded shaft sticking out from the wood that can
be used as an attachment point.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Loctite permanent thread locker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 2:31*am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"woger151" wrote in message

[...]

I might not have described the situation completely.

The post that's there isn't directly across from the attachment point
on the opposite wall. Because of the location of the handrail, I
can't use one of those "angle gates". So I have to "extend" the post
to get a good attachment point.

I don't actually have to do it the way I'm doing it; my original idea
was to use some plywood on both sides of the old post. That way I
could avoid drilling the old post. But this way is easier: The post
is a little smaller than a 4x4. On the end of that I'm mounting a
thin board, then a 4x4. (Need the board because the post has a wooden
"cap" that prevents the 4x4 from being flush. Need the 4x4 to be
taller than the cap to mount the gate hardware.)

Didn't know about the difficulty of drilling 8" straight, but
fortunately won't have to deal with it. I can drill the board, the
4x4, and the post one at a time.

Cheers

[...]

If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent..- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 3:53*pm, "
wrote:

[snip]

* I'm serious, and not trying to trash the OP.

Don't worry; I used to post to different, fairly nasty USENET groups
all the time. I'm grateful for all the replies here. If a few people
say, "Idiot! Don't worry about the toddlers getting the nuts off!!1!"
I can handle it. :-)

Toddlers (more than
one?!) can do tremendous damage in about 10 seconds...

It's not so much that we're not going to supervise them. In fact,
right now that gate is going up upstairs, where they spend no time
except sleeping. Rather, my concern right now is that while they
don't seem close to climbing out of their cribs, who knows? So the
scenario I'm worried about is them getting out at night and then
tumbling down the stairs.

The thing about the nuts is just my own, parental paranoia.

In terms of toddlers doing damage, these are twins, and someone on a
local multiples group list said her twins took their diapers off at
night and smeared $4it on the walls.

[snip]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I ordered 9" hex bolts. Then I read all the replies and thought,
"Damn, I wasted my money, could just use epoxy, and these bolts will
take forever to get here by UPS ground." But they shipped right away,
and since the distance isn't that far (just a few little Eastern
Seaboard states away), they'll get here tomorrow.

OTOH, since they're hex bolts and not fully threaded, the dimensions
might not quite work for sure. But then I'll fall back on some of the
other suggestions here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:46*am, woger151 wrote:

[snip]

Thanks to everyone who replied. Cheers!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message

[...]

Been wondering all along. Why bolts? If the post is solid wood or
even just boxed 3/4" stock, wood screws (no toddler even with tools
will remove a properly applied on) or lag bolts/flat washer/lock
washer does the job much simpler and is just as 'firm'. You would
only have to 'operate' on the one side of the post, no through holes.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:53 pm, "
wrote:

[snip]

I'm serious, and not trying to trash the OP.

Don't worry; I used to post to different, fairly nasty USENET groups
all the time. I'm grateful for all the replies here. If a few people
say, "Idiot! Don't worry about the toddlers getting the nuts off!!1!"
I can handle it. :-)

Toddlers (more than
one?!) can do tremendous damage in about 10 seconds...

It's not so much that we're not going to supervise them. In fact,
right now that gate is going up upstairs, where they spend no time
except sleeping. Rather, my concern right now is that while they
don't seem close to climbing out of their cribs, who knows? So the
scenario I'm worried about is them getting out at night and then
tumbling down the stairs.

They will get out of cribs ) When my younger brother was 3-4 and
grocery shopping was done by walking to the store, my mom had a harness
with a leash for my bro'. Just a cotton vest-type thingy so she could
carry groceries AND keep him out of the traffic. I got a similar thing
when one of my toddlers would not stay in bed at night. It could fasten
to the bed frame, allow him to turn and sit up without getting
strangled. He could turn on his light, read a book if he wasn't
inclined to go to sleep. One night when I went in to check on him, he
had been very quiet and I expected him to be asleep. He was awake,
greeted me with a big smile as I walked in and saw that he had opened up
a seam on his feather pillow....feathers all over.

The thing about the nuts is just my own, parental paranoia.

Parental paranoia is healthy ..

In terms of toddlers doing damage, these are twins, and someone on a
local multiples group list said her twins took their diapers off at
night and smeared $4it on the walls.

[snip]

Parents tend to react when kids are noisy, but the time to worry is when
they are too quiet ) I remember a story told by Joyce Brothers, about
the difference between boys and girls. A mother was bothered by her
little boys running, jumping and yelling when they played. OTOH, the
little girl was very quiet. One day, mother asked the little girl what
she was doing, and the little girl answered sweetly, "Nothing, mommy."
Nothing but decorating the walls of her room with mommy's best lipstick.
BTDT )

If you ever hear a "funny noise", don't ignore it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

other suggestions here.- Hide quoted text -

No glue like Epoxy or Loctite is going to stop someone with a wrench
from being able to take off the nut. Just weld it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

from being able to take off the nut. *Just weld it.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, so now the toddlers he's trying to protect have access to his
tools?

Put the toolbox on the other side of the gate so they can't reach it.

Or, since they're still young, they're still teachable.

Righty-Loosey, Lefty-Tighty

They'll never get the nuts off!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message

I don't actually have to do it the way I'm doing it; my original idea
was to use some plywood on both sides of the old post. That way I
could avoid drilling the old post. But this way is easier: The post
is a little smaller than a 4x4. On the end of that I'm mounting a
thin board, then a 4x4. (Need the board because the post has a wooden
"cap" that prevents the 4x4 from being flush. Need the 4x4 to be
taller than the cap to mount the gate hardware.)

Didn't know about the difficulty of drilling 8" straight, but
fortunately won't have to deal with it. I can drill the board, the
4x4, and the post one at a time.

This would be even easier. Counter boar the 4X4 about 3 inches deep, and
then drill a clearance hole a wee bit larger than the major diameter of the
wood screw. Do this in two or three places.

Next using the holes drilled in the 4X4 as a guide, drill corresponding
clearance holes in the thin board.

Now you can use the thin board as a guide to transfer the location of the
three holes to the post but these holes will be pilot holes for the wood
screws, so the diameter of the holes would be slightly smaller than the
minor diameter of the wood screw.

Now you will have a sufficient anchor to mount the baby gate and it will be
cheaper than the through bolt method and plenty secure.

Or "Plan B" would be to secure the 4X4 and the thin board to the post with
large stainless steel hose clamps, (Also you could add a chunk of wood to
the back side of the posts to prevent denting the wood.)and then you would
have no holes to repair after you take down the baby gate.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Or, since they're still young, they're still teachable.

Righty-Loosey, Lefty-Tighty

They'll never get the nuts off!

Or even more devious would be to have some of the fasteners with left hand
threads...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 3:53 pm, "

It's not so much that we're not going to supervise them. In fact,
right now that gate is going up upstairs, where they spend no time
except sleeping. Rather, my concern right now is that while they
don't seem close to climbing out of their cribs, who knows? So the
scenario I'm worried about is them getting out at night and then
tumbling down the stairs.

The thing about the nuts is just my own, parental paranoia.

In terms of toddlers doing damage, these are twins, and someone on a
local multiples group list said her twins took their diapers off at
night and smeared $4it on the walls.

As a father of twins, I feel your pain. Mine are now ten and are just
finishing up 4th grade, so it was not so long ago that they learned to climb
out of the crib. Funny thing was is that after the first time my son took
the tumble, he was a little reticent to do it a second time, my daughter
followed the same pattern about a month later.

Twins are two babies for the price of three.

Mine were born in 2000, and my wife was dreading having twins, so they
became known as the Y2kids.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I like the welding option. But if you can't, just leave a little thread
sticking out and smash it with a hammer. Bolt will be very difficult to
remove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 4:13*am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"woger151" wrote in message

On Jun 1, 3:53 pm, "

[...]

My wife used to be a nanny for a farming/farm market-running family
that had twins, then 18 months later had another set of twins. 0 to 4
kids in 18 months.

The Dad worked from dawn (in the fields) until after dark (at the
market). Mom took some time off to be home with the kids but needed
some help/relieve for a few hours a day.

At one point one of the older boys learned to climb out of the crib
and would wake them up in the middle of the night. A sheet of plywood
over the crib nipped that problem in the bud! He cried for a couple of
nights and then accepted his fate and began to sleep through the
night. The plywood only lasted a couple of weeks and then was no
longer needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*woger151 wrote:
[...]

mean that everyone else does.- Hide quoted text -

Suggestion: If the post is hefty enough perhaps a hole/depression
could be drilled into it so the nut or head of the bolt could
recessed; later a peg or plug could be inserted into the hole and
sanded off? If the hole is one inch deep that is one inch shorter the
bolt needs to be?

Roger on ingenious toddlers. Our last used to open the
'stereo' (remember therm?) lid which I had secured with a small
cabinet/desk drawer lock, using anything metallic (he must'a inherited
the industrial background from somewhere!) at hand including the car
keys if within reach.

Also the hole in the kitchen cabinet is still there where we used to
safely padlock the cabinet with medications in it!
Ah well! Today 31, he works offshore, earns twice as much as I ever
did, and can fix anything from a megawatt gas turbine to an electronic
thermometer! He'll be a good father too.

While he's temporarily away I'm chasing an electrical fault on his
well used, third hand, 10 year old Lexus ....................... ah
found it.