Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Long bolt: make my own?

On Jun 1, 11:46*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 1, 12:31*pm, wrote:

Instead of 'super glue', try epoxy. * You can get it inside the threads
under the nut AND get a big enough glob on the end that you could smooth it
out and even paint it to match the woodwork.

After hacksawing your threaded rod, look carefully at the thread where you
cut. *You may need to file it slightly to present an 'entry' for the nut.

Other option: *you could embed the threaded rod inside the wooden post, if
you envision this more or less as permanent. *Drill *a couple inches deep
and epoxy it there.

"After hacksawing your threaded rod, look carefully at the thread
where you cut. *You may need to file it slightly to present an 'entry'
for the nut. "

or, as I mentioned earlier, put a nut on the rod *before* cutting and
use the nut to smooth out the threads by unscrewing it over the
damaged threads.

Of course, in this case, you might as well leave the end damaged to
make it even harder to get the nut off.

Put the nut on, cut the rod, smear your epoxy on the cut-end threads
and unscrew the nut until jams on the damaged threads.

I always to several nuts on then cut the rod, it usually takes more
than one nut to re-set the thread.