Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Long bolt: make my own?

On Jun 1, 11:56*am, Bill Waller wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT), woger151
wrote:

I need to attach some wood to a post at the top of my stairs to be
able to mount a baby gate. *I was just going to bolt the wood to the
post.

Problem is that the bolts have to be pretty long. *I bought some hex
bolts that are barely long enough (8"). *I can't find longer bolts
online unless I get a much fatter bolt, which I don't want to do.

I could use the 8" ones, but I was wondering if I could "make my
own." *I bought the hex bolts at HD, but also got 3 feet of "threaded
rod." *I figured I could just put some nuts on the rod and cut it with
a hacksaw. *I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough.

Only complication is that this is for kids (toddlers), and they love
to eat everything. *So I don't want them unscrewing the nut sticking
out of the wood I attach. *Is there an easy way to fix the nut,
essentially making my own bolt? *I was thinking of putting super glue
on the threads and then quickly screwing the nut over that. *(I'm not
so worried about the nut on the other end, which would be free just
like a regular bolt---that end won't be as easily available to them.)

TIA,

I have had good luck finding long bolts athttp://www.boltdepot.com/.
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Thanks for posting that link. I occasionally need a long, fully-
threaded bolt but the local hardware, Home Depot, etc., generally only
have partly threaded bolts in the longer sizes.

Paul