Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Brass Door Handle

In article ,
willshak wrote:

aemeijers wrote the following:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not
tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate
Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in
salt air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear
lacquer or varnish.

Yeah, we used to crank out the brass weights for lab scales, er,
balances, by the thousands on the old Brown and Sharpe screw
machines. We sprayed them with spray cans of polyurethane.

Doesn't that throw the weight off?

Yep. Especially critical in a place like brown and Sharp which makes
precise measuring tools, like micrometers

Huh? We manufactured the weights using B&S machines, we didn't sell them
to B&S. But anyway, no, we allowed for the weight of the poly, same as
you'd work out the thickness of anodizing or plating when machining
parts. Our customer sold to Edmund and places like that.