Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brass Door Handle

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in salt
air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer or varnish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in salt
air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer or varnish.

Yeah, we used to crank out the brass weights for lab scales, er,
balances, by the thousands on the old Brown and Sharpe screw machines.
We sprayed them with spray cans of polyurethane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 3:12 PM, Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Brass tarnishes. The reason you see shiny brass handles on doors is
because someone maintains them.

Maintaining polished brass outside is a continuous maintenance job. You
will periodically need to strip the clear coat and polish the brass with
rouge and a wheel and then give it a clear coat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 2:12*pm, Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. *The package insert said it would not
tarnish. *I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at
the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new
one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

I just used Brasso on it. It is somewhat shiny again, but apparently
I rubbed an area too hard and I have a shiny area that almost looks
silver underneath.

Is this what you are talking about?

No. What you have is a steel door handle that's been plated with nickel then
brass plated over that.

Skeptical?

Hold a magnet against the handle. Brass is non-magnetic (that's why
compasses and stuff are made of brass).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in salt
air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer or varnish.

Yeah, we used to crank out the brass weights for lab scales, er,
balances, by the thousands on the old Brown and Sharpe screw machines.
We sprayed them with spray cans of polyurethane.

Doesn't that throw the weight off?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:12:31 -0700, Kate wrote:

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Baldwin. Other than not tarnishing I don't care for it. We bought
it 25 years ago because it would unlatch a deadbolt with the inside
lever. The outside is a thumb-latch & though I liked it fine 20
years ago- now my thumb is weaker & I'd prefer an outside lever.

IIRC it was about $200-- but it was the only one with that perceived
'safety feature' - so momma liked it & I installed it.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maintaining polished brass outside is a continuous maintenance job.

Unless, of course, you get Balwin Brass.

When I purchased a new home ten years ago, I replaced all the outdoor lights
and front door hardware with Baldwin Brass 003 Lifetime Polished Brass
Finish. It's just as shiny now as the day I installed it. About every
three years or so, I wash off the dust with a glass cleaner and water, and
then hand dry. The finish is always shiny gold. No polishing necessary.

The 003 finish does not use a lacquer like most brass fixtures. Instead, the
brass is nickel plated and then the final finish is applied in a plasma
chamber for a molecular bond. Each lighting fixture was about $300 and the
pair of front door hardware was about $500. Not cheap, but they will look
brand new for decades, and no polishing needed.

Best,
Christopher

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless, of course, you get Balwin Brass.

Oops, that's Baldwin Brass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 31, 2:12 pm, Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at
the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new
one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.

Like that was helpful...contact the company...The question was "Has anyone
bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?" Not how to conduct yourself on the phone
begging for a different one and telling them above all after owning the
product for 4 years they give 30 days for the unit to be returned...
sigh... so to answer the OP question... Yes I have a very good brass door
handle...however, the pricy ones are called 'Stainless brass" seen here
http://www.handlesbydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=33_98 ...the handles
made by Gardner & Scardifield Ltd which I presently own and have not
tarnished ..they are pricy but worth it... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 4:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:

I just used Brasso on it. It is somewhat shiny again, but apparently
I rubbed an area too hard and I have a shiny area that almost looks
silver underneath.

Is this what you are talking about?

No. What you have is a steel door handle that's been plated with nickel then
brass plated over that.

Skeptical?

Hold a magnet against the handle. Brass is non-magnetic (that's why
compasses and stuff are made of brass).

The magnet won't stick to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 5:35 PM, Christopher Glaeser wrote:
[...]

This is good to know. Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 4:25 PM, ransley wrote:
On May 31, 2:12 pm, wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at
the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new
one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.

Excellent idea. Now I have to search for the paper work, and I am sure
I have it. Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 6:26 PM, Jimi wrote:
wrote in message
On May 31, 2:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jim, for your reply.

I would love to own a doorknob that does not tarnish, so this gives me
something to go on.

I do have a brass door kick plate, and it has been like new since I
purchased it six years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 5:23 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:12:31 -0700, wrote:

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Baldwin. Other than not tarnishing I don't care for it. We bought
it 25 years ago because it would unlatch a deadbolt with the inside
lever. The outside is a thumb-latch& though I liked it fine 20
years ago- now my thumb is weaker& I'd prefer an outside lever.

IIRC it was about $200-- but it was the only one with that perceived
'safety feature' - so momma liked it& I installed it.

Jim

Mine is a thumb latch too. Not a problem for me as I usually come in
through the inside garage door when parking my car.

I am getting some great tips from everyone and I appreciate it.

Thanks Jim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at
the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new
one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.

What other companies besides Baldwin Brass have a non-lacquer lifetime
finish?

Best,
Christopher

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 8:26*pm, "Jimi" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On May 31, 2:12 pm, Kate wrote:

[...]

tarnished ..they are pricy but worth it... Jim- Hide quoted text -

And the tag say guarnted not to tarnish, so learn to read.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 10:12*pm, ransley wrote:
On May 31, 8:26*pm, "Jimi" wrote:

http://www.handlesbydesign.co.uk/ind...=33_98**...the handles
made by Gardner & Scardifield Ltd *which I presently own and have not
tarnished ..they are pricy but worth it... Jim- Hide quoted text -

And the tag say guarnted not to tarnish, so learn to read.- Hide quoted text -

Are you the Kate that had a bunch of questions about a month ago? If
so, what did you end up doing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 8:58 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On May 31, 10:12 pm, wrote:
On May 31, 8:26 pm, wrote:

wrote in message

On May 31, 2:12 pm, wrote:

[...]

I had a bunch of questions about two months ago. What was one of the
topics, and I can answer your question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
On 5/31/2010 4:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:

No. What you have is a steel door handle that's been plated with
nickel then brass plated over that.

Skeptical?

Hold a magnet against the handle. Brass is non-magnetic (that's why
compasses and stuff are made of brass).

The magnet won't stick to it.

Ah, okay. It's aluminum (plated with nickle then plated with brass). Or
wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote the following:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not
tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate
Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in
salt air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear
lacquer or varnish.

Yeah, we used to crank out the brass weights for lab scales, er,
balances, by the thousands on the old Brown and Sharpe screw
machines. We sprayed them with spray cans of polyurethane.

Doesn't that throw the weight off?

Yep. Especially critical in a place like brown and Sharp which makes
precise measuring tools, like micrometers

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

aemeijers wrote the following:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

Huh? We manufactured the weights using B&S machines, we didn't sell them
to B&S. But anyway, no, we allowed for the weight of the poly, same as
you'd work out the thickness of anodizing or plating when machining
parts. Our customer sold to Edmund and places like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:12:31 -0700, Kate wrote:

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Was it guaranteed not to tarnish? Does the package contain false
advertisement? If the package says it won't tarnish and it did, what
did the manufacturer tell you?

If you really want shiny low-maintenance metal, avoid brass and get
stainless steel.

Brass door handle spring James UK diy 8 April 16th 12 01:48 PM
Door handle question p4o2 Home Repair 2 December 11th 06 10:42 PM
Door Handle Replacement for uPVC Door John McLean UK diy 3 July 19th 06 02:07 PM
PVC Door handle/bar Nick J UK diy 4 May 27th 06 06:14 PM
Car door handle Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 75 September 16th 04 10:55 PM