Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Brass Door Handle

On 5/31/2010 5:23 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:12:31 -0700, wrote:

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Baldwin. Other than not tarnishing I don't care for it. We bought
it 25 years ago because it would unlatch a deadbolt with the inside
lever. The outside is a thumb-latch& though I liked it fine 20
years ago- now my thumb is weaker& I'd prefer an outside lever.

IIRC it was about $200-- but it was the only one with that perceived
'safety feature' - so momma liked it& I installed it.

Jim

Mine is a thumb latch too. Not a problem for me as I usually come in
through the inside garage door when parking my car.

I am getting some great tips from everyone and I appreciate it.

Thanks Jim.