Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Import BXA toolpost experience

On 2010-05-21, Searcher7 wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

* * * * This is why I ask about the locking angle for one of the
supplied holders tried in both stations. *Normally, you should have the
same fit in both stations.

Yes. the supplied holders fit the same in both. In others words the
travel of the locking bar is about the same, regardless of which of
the two sides I use.(About 90 degrees, regardless of the supplied
holder I use).

* * * * From the most CCW starting position in both cases?

???

* * * * Most Counter-ClockWise -- the fully unlocked position.

* * * * [ ... ]

Ok. With the tool post mounted 45 degrees from square(diagonal),

* * * * No! -- No! -- No! -- No! -- No! -- No! -- No!

* * * * The sides should be parallel to the chuck face and the bed,
*never* at an angle. *You can't do parting with it at an angle, even if
you can sort of make other things work.

I was just going by how it would have to be positioned in order for
the locking bar to, as you said, *point toward the tailstock in the
unlocked position and toward the operator in the locked position.
(Don't worry. That is not the way it would really be mounted). :-)

* * * * O.K.

The first two pics show the toolholder in it's proper relative
position opened and closed. Open would be more like 1:30 and closed at
7:30. (At about 5:00 I can still slide the supplied holders on).
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

* * * * Better shots.

* * * * [ ... ]

* * * * If you have two lengths of round rod of the same diameter (e.g.
drill rod), set the lever in the fully locked position and try measuring
the width of the two dovetails. *Do this using the rods as follows
(view with a fixed pitch font like Courier to avoid distortion):

* * * *______________
* *( ) \ * * * * * */ ( )
________\ * * * * */_______

(the rods should be bigger, but that is the biggest that I can show
using ASCII graphics.

* * * * Anyway -- place the rods into the Vs of the dovetails, and
measure the width across the outside of the rods (using a caliper or a
larger micrometer).

* * * * The measurement across the rods should be close to the same on
the two dovetails. *If it is not so, then one of them is improperly set
on the threads.

I'm not sure what "close" would be but I just measured both sides with
a ruler.

* * * * I'm talking about measurements with something which reads out in
0.001" increments or better.

* * * * *And the measurements are 1-21/32" on the right side, and
1-2/3" on the left.

* * * * What kind of ruler do you have which reads in thirds of an inch?
And if that is correct, they are just a bit out. *1.6563" vs 1.6667"
(giving fractional sizes with different denominators leads to confusion.