Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Brass Door Handle

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?
If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in salt
air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer or varnish.

Yeah, we used to crank out the brass weights for lab scales, er,
balances, by the thousands on the old Brown and Sharpe screw machines.
We sprayed them with spray cans of polyurethane.

Doesn't that throw the weight off?

--
aem sends...