Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_2_] Tegger[_2_] is offline

Default Brass Door Handle

Kate wrote in
:

On 5/31/2010 12:53 PM, wrote:
Kate wrote:
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not
tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave.
It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not
tarnish? If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with
lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in
salt air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer
or varnish.

I just used Brasso on it. It is somewhat shiny again, but apparently
I rubbed an area too hard and I have a shiny area that almost looks
silver underneath.

Can you find a magnet? See if the magnet will stick to the handle. If it
does, then the handle is actually steel with brass-plating on it. Even a
fridge magnet will work for checking this.

The plating is usually pretty thin and will wear off quickly once the
lacquer/varnish/urethane is gone.

Is this what you are talking about?

Do I need to rub all of it so that the top coat is removed, and then
recoat it?

Yes. Provided either 1) the plating is thick enough to survive the
cleaning, or 2) the handle really is solid-brass, both of which I'm
doubting just now.

--
Tegger