Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default OT Bought a 2001 Ford Ranger

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:23:57 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 May 2010 18:53:41 -0500
"RogerN" wrote:

snip
Some cars have the equipment to give a gas mileage at the moment using
fuel
flow rate and speed. I'm wondering if that is where John gets 31mpg
with
his Vette or if that includes pulling into filling stations and
accelerating
up to speed. My truck doesn't have that feature so my gas mileage
includes
starting, stopping, idling, accelerating, a few miles through town plus
some
highway miles. I'm guessing the mileage while cruising on the highway
is
good bit better than my 202 mile average of 20.4 mpg.

My old 1982 Chevy K10 (full size 1/2 ton 4x4) with 6.2 diesel averages
20 mpg. With the extra hitches, pipe bumper, cap, crap... it goes 6000
lbs. No computer anywhere to be found, unless my old Garmin
GPSIII is velcroed to the dash

I've been checking the milage on it since it was bought new. Only go on
short runs anymore, so the milage is always tending towards the lower
side. Could get into the low 20's when making long road trips.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I consider my gas mileage OK compared with other Rangers with the 4.0 V-6
but I would expect that the mileage should have improved in the last 25
years, with all the computers and sensors that they have compared to the
80's. Maybe I could put an 8 Cylinder in a small truck and get 30+ mpg!

RogerN

Its actually a fairly efficient engine, but its hooked to a Truck, and
as such, gearing and rear end must be different than that of a car.

Whats the mileage of a typical Ford Taurus, with the same engine in it?

25-30 mpg, based on friends who have them.

Gunner

Mine has the 5 speed automatic (I think, it's still pretty new to me) and 60
MPH is just a touch over 2k rpm, compared to my Civic, 60 mph is about 2600
RPM. But I could see if the rear end is lower geared the drive shaft would
have to turn faster at 60mph than a higher geared rear end.

RogerN