Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default OT Bought a 2001 Ford Ranger

On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:23:57 -0500
"RogerN" wrote:

snip
I consider my gas mileage OK compared with other Rangers with the 4.0 V-6
but I would expect that the mileage should have improved in the last 25
years, with all the computers and sensors that they have compared to the
80's. Maybe I could put an 8 Cylinder in a small truck and get 30+ mpg!

I suspect you might be able to if you could make it a bit more
aerodynamic and change the drive ratio to keep the rpm's down. The
airflow/profile on pickup trucks isn't so good for milage nor their gear
ratios. Years ago I can remember after
market add-ons that went in between the transmission and differential.
Kind of a two speed set up. Don't know if you can still get them or
maybe find an old one for a song. I can really notice the difference in
milage with both my truck and motorcycle if I go over 60 mph for very
long.

My truck has the ~.283 rear differential and the wimpy 700R4 overdrive
transmission. Good for milage, bad for strength, durability. Been okay
so long as you remember the tranny is weak, so don't abuse it.

My Dad had one of the old VW Pickups with a diesel (Rabbit with truck
bed). Between the diesel engine and low slung narrow vehicle profile he
could get in the mid 40's for milage most all the time. I'm a bit
over six feet tall though and couldn't move the seat back far enough to
be comfortable. It would hit the back of the cab...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b