Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arc Fault protection how does it work?????

In another posting someone wrote .................. *Are you sure that
was a GFCI on the end and not an AFCI?"

AFIK I haven't seen one yet ................ but after all this house
and my neighbours are generally 30 to 40 years old.

A relative has spoken about them and their requirement for 'bedroom'
circuits? A new house, infill, is being built nearby and will take an
oppoortunity to talk with their electrician. I am presumng our local
code will require them for 'new construction'.

For my info however please could somebody care to explain in basic
terms how an AFCI works.

*That was me. Short answer: If you have a loose connection which causes
arcing and generates heat the AFCI will shut down the circuit.