Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Bought a 2001 Ford Ranger

On Fri, 28 May 2010 05:58:24 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger 4X4 truck last weekend, 106K miles, 4.0L 6 Cyl.

I'm wanting to find out what items I can expect to need to replace within
the next 50k to 100K miles. Such as sensors, ball joints, U-joints, tie rod
ends, etc. If I understand correctly, the engine should easily last over
200K miles, maybe 300k. Just wanting to know what to expect, I'm hoping to
do preventative maintenance instead of waiting for a failure.

RogerN

Very good truck

Head gaskets may..may need replacement around 135-175k. I understand
Ford solved that problem..but Im keeping my fingers crossed as my 2001
has 180k on it so far.

Belt Idler pully and bearing at about 125k

Ive never..never replaced a front end part in a Ranger/Mazda 2wd.
Neither in my 94 Mazda B3000 (3.0) or my current 2001 Ranger (3.0)

Alternator at 200k

I cant speak for the 4x stuff.

Ive also never replaced a drive line part either. No..take that
back..replaced one carrier bearing at 350k on the 94 Mazda

Is it auto or clutch?

Autos need to be flushed at 150k
Standards will need both the slave cylinder replaced with the clutch
plate (about 175k miles for me), and so forth.

Gunner

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate